once upon a december: anastasia on broadway!

By colleen - January 20, 2019

hello world!

I have been so totally absent, and I feel pretty awful about it! I thought that being on my winter break would leave some time to write, but I have been surprisingly quite busy since returning home. So, in hopes to become a far better blogger (considering I'm pretty new to this), I've decided to start writing more as one of my many resolutions. So, in light of that, here is a little post about one of the city trips I had while I was still home!

Its become a bit of a Christmas tradition that my boyfriend and I see a show on Broadway. Since we're both in school, it's a fun way to bond before we both head back to our respective schools. This year, he bought us tickets to Anastasia- and let me just say, it was...breathtaking. I'll try my hardest to recap it without ruining the absolute magic of it!

The stage before the show!
First and foremost, the set was absolutely amazing. In high school, I was a stage manager, so one of the most important parts of a production is the set. Since the show takes place in a few different locations, the set is pretty critical to the show itself. My favorite piece within the show must have been in the beginning of the show when audiences are first introduced to the palace. The snowy, white-Christmas setup was truly beautiful. There is simply nothing that could compare to the beauty of that opening scene.

In addition to the practically perfect set, the costumes were equally as elegant. The details were so incredibly precise. An example that I must use must be the Queen's dress. The dress itself appears in three, maybe four scenes- however, each little piece of the dress is decked out in significant detailed silvers. I could not believe how delicate and well thought-out everything was.

And finally, Christy Altomare's voice is goddess-like. I don't think there are enough words in the English language for me to explain how simply incredible her voice is. While everyone usually "fangirls" over her voice in "Journey to the Past", I must say that my favorite song that she sang "In My Dreams". I quite literally swooned. 

To conclude this little update, I would just like to recommend Anastasia to anyone looking for a fantastic show! You most certainly won't regret it- it really holds the key to my heart (and that, folks, is my attempt at a show pun)!
Nick and I with our Playbills!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments